5 Tips for Decorating Your First Apartment
Don’t stress about furnishing your new pad! We have five easy tips, tricks, and ideas to help you get started for decorating your apartment.
Whether you’re using hand-me-down furniture, decorating on a budget, or splurging on luxury, your first apartment is a great opportunity to explore your personal design style! Deciding on a look, feel, and color palette for the first time can be overwhelming; but go with your gut (it’s usually right!). Once you’ve got the color palette, look for accents in those hues. Carry the colors throughout every room in the apartment to create a cohesive look. First buy big pieces, such as dressers, sofas, and beds, since they’re the most expensive and they anchor the rooms. Then, infuse your personality into the space without breaking the bank by adding budget-friendly accessories, like curtains, wall art, and lighting.
- Buy inexpensive, neutral furniture (like dressers, headboards, and coffee tables) and customize the pieces with knobs, wallpaper, or paint.
- Plants bring life to rooms, no matter how dark or small.
- Cost-effective pillows can spice up lacklusterhand-me-down sofas or chairs.
- Furniture should do double duty in small spaces—use your desk as a nightstand and your desk chair for extra seating when friends visit.
- Use open shelving as an opportunity to show off mementos and keep yourself organized with fun storage boxes.
wayfair: 5 Tips for Decorating Your First Apartment. 18. August 2018. https://www.wayfair.com/ideas-and-advice/5-tips-for-decorating-your-first-apartment-S3638.html